The 2015 Got to Be NC Competition Dining series launched in the Triangle Monday with a heated battle between chefs Gerry Fong of Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant in New Bern and Benjamin Harris of Midtown Grille in Raleigh. The secret ingredient, selected from a North Carolina farmer or artisan producer, was Curemaster's Reserve Mangalista Ham from Johnston County Hams.
|Dessert course from Chef Harris |
of Midtown Grille in Raleigh
Barely a quarter-point separated the competitors at the end of the six-course event, which was judged by a panel of culinary experts as well as paying diners. In the end, Harris edged Fong with his opening course of pan-roasted scallop with Logan Turnpike Stone Ground Grits seasoned with saffron, basil and chili garnished with crispy Johnston County Mangalitsa Ham, and his dessert of milk chocolate custard, dark chocolate torte, Johnston County Mangalitsa Ham and salted caramel fluff.
All Triangle events are held at 1705 Prime, located at 1705 E. Millbrook Road in Raleigh. Tickets to attend a first round event cost $55 each, excluding the cost of beverage, tax and service fee. For reservations, visit www.competitiondining.com.
Upcoming first round events include:
- Tonight: Trey Cleveland of Top of the Hill Restaurant & Brewery in Chapel Hill, versus Ryan Conklin of Rex Healthcare in Raleigh
- Jan. 21 Dinner: Shane Ingram of Four Square Restaurant in Durham, versus Ben Strange of Aperitivo at Lawson’s Landing in New Bern
- Jan. 26 Dinner: Christopher Hill of Faire Steak & Seafood in Raleigh, versus Teddy Diggs of Il Palio in Chapel Hill
- Jan. 27 Dinner: Ben Adams of Piedmont Restaurant in Durham, versus Chelsi Hogue of Ed's Southern Food & Spirits in Goldsboro
- Jan. 28 Dinner: Patrick Cowden of Tobacco Road Sports Cafe in Raleigh/Durham, versus Curt Shelvey of Curt's Cucina in Southern Pines
- Feb. 2 Dinner: Spencer Carter of Weathervane in Chapel Hill, versus Rhett Morris of Rhett's Restaurant in Southern Pines
- Feb. 3 Dinner: Benjamin Guaman of Governors Club in Chapel Hill, versus Brandon Stark of Michael's Seafood Restaurant in Carolina Beach
- Feb. 9 Dinner: Jan. 19 winner versus Jan. 20 winner
- Feb. 10 Dinner: Jan. 21 winner versus Jan. 26 winner
- Feb. 16 Dinner: Jan. 27 winner versus Jan. 28 winner
- Feb. 17 Dinner: Feb. 2 winner versus Feb. 3 winner
- Feb. 23 Dinner: Feb. 9 winner versus Feb. 10 winner
- Feb. 24 Dinner: Feb. 16 winner versus Feb. 17 winner
- March 2 Dinner: Feb. 23 winner versus Feb. 24 winner