Sunday, February 13, 2011

PB&B Muffins

Between trying my best to reduce my carbon footprint at the market, and being appalled at their price, I don't often buy bananas. But when I find them shrink-wrapped and balanced lightly in the markdown bin, I grab them.

Last week I picked up a big, barely freckled bunch for just 52 cents. I enjoyed them sliced in cereal and straight up for days. I awoke thinking about melty peanut butter on toast topped with banana, but alas we are a toast-free household today.

So this morning, a full week after snagging my bargain, the remaining bananas are finally brown enough to consider baking. I checked several cookbooks without success to find a peanut butter and banana variation. So this is what I tried:

1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
3/4 cup sugar
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup peanut butter, such as Jif Reduced Fat Creamy
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped and divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with vegetable oil spray or use paper liners.

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup or sift with baking soda and salt. Transfer to small bowl and set aside.
 
In large mixing bowl, add eggs, oil, applesauce, sugar, mashed bananas and peanut butter; stir until well blended. Add flour mixture and half the chopped nuts, stirring to blend (but do not over mix).
 
Divide evenly among 12 muffin cups, about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with remaining nuts and bake 20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick tester comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes in pan on rack. Lightly slip a teaspoon under muffins and gently remove; cool another 5 minutes on rack.

As I'm writing this, Tim and Graham have both had at least three muffins each, which I consider a good measure of success. Terrific as is or with a smear of cream cheese or jelly.

(PS: Enjoy slowly. Just realized these are 6 Weight Watchers points each.)

No comments:

Post a Comment