Friday, February 25, 2011

Pineapple-orange smoothie

I have a terrific problem: I have a huge box of luscious Honeybell oranges in my kitchen. I ordered them weeks ago, long before the frost that zapped much of Florida's prized crop. They are practically bursting with juice and could be consumed, like fresh-steamed lobster, while wearing a bib. Or at least leaning over the sink.

I've been taking sliced oranges to work for days, slurping them surreptiously to avoid having to share. I am thinking about stuffing them in a chicken before roasting, using them to glaze grilled scallops, and maybe baking a cake and dousing it with fragrant, sticky syrup.

Tonight, however, I opted for the quickest path to turn them into a not-so-decadent dessert. It was unseasonably mild here today so I went for a pre-summer smoothie.

1 16-ounce bag frozen pineapple chunks
juice of three Honeybell oranges
three scoops low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla

Dump everything into a heavy-duty blender and let it rip. Pause to poke with a spatula several times and whirl until mostly smooth. Pour into three glasses and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment