Sunday, May 1, 2011

Beet the clock

Spatial reasoning has never been my forte. I was reminded of this today after asking Tim to peel a few beets for a surprisingly delicious cake that was making a return appearance for dessert. I needed two cups of shredded beets but my guesstimation yielded something closer to four.

Confronted with this unexpected abundance, I decided to add the last three beets I had planned on roasting. Turned out to be one of my better mistakes. In less than 10 minutes, I had a terrific beet dish on the table.

1 bunch beets, trimmed and peeled
2-3 tbsp. walnut oil
salt
¼ cup walnuts, chopped

Using a vegetable peeler, clean beets and coarsely shred in processor or by hand.

Warm 2 tbsp. walnut oil in skillet over medium heat. Add shredded beets and salt lightly. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add chopped walnuts and stir though. Add salt, if needed, and drizzle of walnut oil to garnish before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment